Postcards from Hell

Weather: Hot, high thousands. Possible showers of fire clearing to brimstone. Wish you were here.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Later that Same Day

It is unfortunate that people are forced to work for stupid companies doing stupid things; that Dilbert is a documentary more than a comic. What a significant waste of life and potential it is to be stuck doing these dull tasks for dull people.

What a whiner. But it's a sad fact.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not taking this lying down- I have a master plan of sorts. I'm getting out. So I'm not so much complaining about me or my lot in life; I think its a damn shame for all the other people who are trapped in the rat race and don't have whatever it is to get out.

Imagine this: the government restructures all its welfare (excepting health) such that each person is given a quota of 10 years welfare during which they can do whatever they want- university studies, start a company, get drunk, whatever. These ten years of welfare do not need to be taken all at once as that would be inefficient. But once the ten years are spent, that's it. No other welfare for you.

Would the people coming out of high school be wise enough to spend these ten years properly? Ideally, I would be thinking of someone taking a university course, working in the 'real world' and then, with their knowledge and experience, spending another few years on welfare doing something useful- starting a cool company, writing a great book/play/movie, joining doctors without borders or whatever.

Maybe the law would be such that you would be dissuaded from taking all ten years straight after high school? To stop fools pissing away everything and then bitching about it for the rest of their lives.

On the other hand, you might find people dying with a large portion of the ten years unspent. I don't understand it but there seems to be many people who can't stand not being told what to do; they can't entertain themselves or fill their time. The idea, to them, of retirement is abhorrent (where 'retirement' means, not having to work).

At the company where I am currently gainfully employed, we have the concept of the bench. This is where you go where there's no project for you to work on but you are still considered too important to let go.

To me, the bench is heaven: no boss, nothing to do. I fill in my time doing important things- learning new stuff from the web, designing things for my 'get out of hell' plan. But, unfathomable as it is, there are other who think the bench is boring- they can't wait to get back to work.

Are people so empty after the education system has gotten through with them that they can't command their own time?! What the hell is this?!

I really feel that I am in the minority here. Its seems most others have had desires and goals and ideas beaten out of them and replaced with subservience instead.

I don't get it.

It would make for and interesting study.

If I had time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home