Postcards from Hell

Weather: Hot, high thousands. Possible showers of fire clearing to brimstone. Wish you were here.

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Name that smell

Being the enquiring mind that I am, I feel it my duty to judge the aromas of my own flatulence. Call it a hobby. Don't get me wrong, I'm no freak- I draw the line when it comes to the aroma of others' flatulence. That would be sick. Sick sick.

Over my years of research, I have made two impressive discoveries.

Discovery the First: after a meal of pancakes, my flatulence acquires a distinctive aroma. It does this in a time frame far shorter than I would imagine would be adequate for the aroma to be a direct result of the digestion process. We're usually talking about 15 to 20 minutes from the first pancake to the first aromatically altered emission.

What could be the cause of this? A strange phenomenon indeed. And quite distinct from the asparagus-urine phenomenon which at least requires a respectable time for digestion to occur.

Discovery the Second: Regardless of the overall aroma-scape one might be producing at a given time, the smell is distinctly and consistently altered upon stepping into the shower.

Empirical experimentation shows that this is not related to the clothing filtering out specific chunks of gas or some such. Current theory holds that there is some chemical reaction occuring with the steam in shower stall.

While I'm at it, I may as well add that some Indian food causes the smell to become somewhat burnt in it character. I'll have to do more research in regards to this before posting anything conclusive.

Scientifically yours,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home